Let me just tell you, Chambourcin wine has grown on me! It is funky and weird, a French-American hybrid, and absolutely fabulous with smokey BBQ chicken pizza.
I used a basic pizza dough and ridiculously simple BBQ chicken to create a pizza that we smoked on the Traeger. This BBQ Chicken Pizza needed something special and a bit smokey to pair with it–something like Chambourcin. Yes, famous wine people like to pair this with cheesesteaks, and I totally get that, but BBQ elevates this to a whole new level. Chambourcin is acidic and fruity, a bit spicy, plays well with cheese and chicken, and has a smoky vibe. Doesn’t that description sound just like BBQ? I rest my case.
Wine Pairing with BBQ Chicken Pizza
I chose a beautiful Chambourcin-Merlot blend from Honah Lee to pair with this smoky BBQ chicken pizza. While visiting their Gordonsville, Virginia tasting room we tried two vintages of their “De la Merce.” Immediately we knew we had to create this bbq chicken pizza with the smokier of the two bottles, the 2017. I would make the dough, shape and top the crusts, while my husband had smoker duty.
Honah Lee Vineyard 2017 De La Merce
- 🗺 From Gordonsville, Virginia
- 🍇 50% Chambourcin and 50% Merlot with an 12.5% ABV
- 👁 Medium Purple
- 👃🏼 Aromas and flavors of: lavender, hibiscus, cranberry, plum, pomegranate, sour cherry, asian five spice, fennel, vanilla, smoke, oak
- 👅 Dry, medium-plus acidity, medium-light body, low tannins, short finish of pomegranate, smoke, vanilla, and cherry
- 💰 $22
BBQ Chicken Pizza
super simple pulled chicken bbq
- 2 cups bbq sauce we like sweet baby rays
- 2.5 pounds frozen chicken breasts
- 2 1/2 cup warm-hot water
- 2 3/4 tsp active dry or instant yeast or one envelope
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- For the chicken BBQ: Place frozen chicken in a slow cooker. Pour on sauce. Close lid and cook low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. Remove chicken, shred, put back in slow cooker and mix with sauce. **this makes a lot–eat leftovers as sandwiches with cole-slaw, top nachos or fries, put in quesadillas, etc.**This is only a guideline!** You can dress this up, make your own sauce, smoke on a traeger, pull pork instead, etc. The sky is the limit.
- For the crust:In bowl of stand mixer, sprinkle yeast and sugar into warm water (if NOT using instant yeast, bloom the yeast–wait 10 minutes or until the water is bubbly and creamy). Add oil and salt, and using dough hook and LOW speed, stir in 4 cups of flour. Once flour is incorporated, add 1/2 cup at a time until dough clears bowl, all while mixer is on low. Continue to knead for 7 minutes. Remove hook and place dough in oiled bowl, cover, and let rise 1 hour in a warm location. When dough has doubled, punch it down and remove from bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 personal size pizza balls. Stretch dough into desired shape and size and let rest for 20 minutes.
- If smoking/grilling: Pre cook each pizza 3 minutes per side before topping–directly on the grill. Lightly oil the dough first! Smoke will take up to 7-10 minutes. Top each pizza with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, 1 cup shredded meat, 1 cup shredded cheese, and sprinkle on red onions. Grill–for about 5 minutes, 550F direct heatSmoke–25 minutes in 350F smokeOven–stretch dough onto oiled pan and bake 10 minutes at 425F