Some days I don’t really feel like cooking. Somedays I want to make a make a super simple and satisfying meal without all the fuss. Somedays I pair it with an exceptional wine because we are worth it! This isn’t to say that I don’t know how to make REAL Swedish meatballs, I do. And they’re fantastic. But somedays…I call it in. And that is OK! This is a slow cooker meal that will make everyone happy, including the person who has to cook everything. My Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs isn’t complicated or fussy–its just good. I decided to elevate this simple dish with a Spätburgunder, because why not. Family dinner is always special.
Pinot Noir and Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
I purchased this bottle through a wine club that specializes in unique wines sourced world wide. This Pinot Noir is touted as being one of the best produced wines in Germany. Pinot Noir is often known as Burgundy in France, and in Germany–Spätburgunder. I thought about pairing my Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs with a lightly oaked Chardonnay or rich Riesling, but opted for this light, bright, and earthy Pinot Noir. It just made me happy. The creamy sauce and mushrooms would go with any of those choices–but my heart called for red wine with the beef.
Enderle & Moll 2017 Pinot Noir
- Enderle & Moll 2017 Pinot Noir
- 🗺From Baden, Germany
- ⏰ Growing notes—30 year old vines, organic and biodynamically farmed, whole cluster fermented with native yeast
- 🍇 100% Pinot Noir with a 12.5% ABV
- 👁 Medium garnet
- 👃🏼 Aromas and flavors of: cherry, strawberry, cranberry, herbs, florals, earth, smoke, oak, vanilla
- 👅 Light in body, smooth tannins, dry, medium-high acidity, medium finish.
- 💰 $27
- 🥘 Suggested pairings herb-roasted pork, mushroom risotto
Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
- Slow Cooker
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tbsp steak sauce
- 1 tsp dill optional
- 2 pounds meatballs frozen
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg freshly grated
- 2 cups peas frozen
- 1 pound egg noodles cooked al dente
- garnish parsley
wine suggestions: pinot noir, chardonnay, riesling
- In slow cooker, mix tegether all three soups and steak sauce. Add dill and meatballs. Cover and cook high 4 hours or low 6-8 hours.
- Stir in sour cream, nutmeg, and frozen peas.
- Cover slow cooker and boil noodles on stove according to package directions. (This allows time for frozen peas to cook in sauce.)
- Mix noodles and meatballs together and garnish with parsley to be fancy.